Macroom Motors U21C Football Champions

August 08, 2021

 U21 C FC Final
 2021 Macroom Motor Services Muskerry U21 C Football Championship Final:
 Béal Átha’n Ghaorthaidh   3-14     Donoughmore   1-13
 Béal Átha’n Ghaorthaidh and Donoughmore, met in the final of the Macroom Motor Services Mid Cork U21 C Football championship at Cloughduv and served up a most entertaining game of football.  For most of the first half, Donoughmore, playing against the stiff breeze, forced the pace and looked capable of ultimate honours but a very well worked goal for Béal Átha in the 25th minute, Seán Lucey the lethal finisher, put his side in front by a single point and they never looked back subsequently.  They led by that goal at half time and added a vital second two minutes into the second half, and when Donoughmore steadied the ship and threatened a wind assisted comeback, Seán Lucey finished off another well crafted movement with a blistering shot to the Donoughmore net in the 44th minute.
 The sides were level at 0-2 each in the opening minutes, Michael Guiry and Gavin O’Sullivan scoring for Donoughmore, Ronán Ó Loinsigh and Gavin Ó Laoghaire for Béal Átha.  Gavin O’Sullivan, who finished with a personal tally of 0-9 from frees kicks, put Donoughmore back in front in the 10th minute and Alan Dinan doubled their advantage.  Brian Ó Duinnín had a point for the Gaeltacht side, Eddy Murphy fired over two points for Donoughmore in reply, 0-6 to 0-3 in favour of Donoughmore after the first quarter.
 Béal Átha hit back with a brace, Ronán Ó Loinsigh and Seán Ó Muineacháin the scorers, Gavin O’Sulllivan pointed two frees for Donoughmore to keep his side three points clear in the 23rd minute, 0-8 to 0-5.  Seán Ó Muineacháin pointed a Béal Átha free after a foul on Brian Ó Duinnín and then came the first goal of the game, Gavin Ó Laoghaire, Seán Ó Muineacháin and Brian Ó Duinnín combining to give Seán Ó Luasa a shot at goal and the midfielder buried the ball in the Donoughmore net.  To finish the half with a flourish, Béal Átha then had a point apiece from their midfield pairing, they led by 1-8 to 0-8 at the interval and their situation had improved immensely.
 In the second half Béal Átha again took up the running and Seán Ó Muineacháin pointed a free before in the 33rd minute the winners struck a devastating blow.  Seán Ó Luasa got possession sixty metres from the Donoughmore goal, advanced and suddenly from over 20 metres out unleashed a ferocious low drive which hit the back of the Donoughmore net before anyone could react.
 Gavin O’Sulllivan got a desperately needed point for Donoughmore in the 35th minute, and added another three minutes later as they tried to get back into contention.  In the 44th minute Seán Ó Luasa completed his hat trick, finishing off a move in which Rónán Ó Loinsigh, Ó Muineacháin and Arlen Green combined to again work an opportunity for Seán Ó Luasa who simply belted the ball to the roof of the net to put Béal Átha 3-9 to 0-10 in front on the 44 minute mark. Ó Muineacháin added a well taken point from a free to open up a three goal gap and all Béal Átha had to do now for the final quarter was contain the opposition.
 Two Donoughmore points from Gavin O’Sulllivan were followed by a fine point for Béal Átha from Brian Ó Duinnín after a strong run and then Alan Dinan, always a threat in the Donoughmore attack, fired in a cracking shot to the top corner of the Beal Átha net to narrow the gap back to five points.  Daire Ó Briain responded with a point for the winners, Gavin O’Sulllivan pointed his ninth free for Donoughmore and in the closing minutes Seán Ó Luasa and Rónan Ó Loinsigh had points to further embellish the winner’s scoreline.
 Young referee Luke Knight was a most competent referee and got his calls right.
 Scorers: Beal Átha’n Ghaorthaidh; Sean Ó Luasa 3-2, Seán Ó Muineacháin 0-5 (0-2f), Rónán Ó Loinsigh 0-3 (0-1f), Brian O Duinnín 0-2, Gavin Ó Laoghaire, Daire Ó Briain 0-1 each.
 Donoughmore: Alan Dinan 1-1, Gavin O’Sullivan 0-9 (0-8f, 0-1’45’), Eddy Murphy 0-2, Michael Guirey 0-1.
 Béal Átha’n Ghaorthaidh: Barra Ó Súilleabháin: Barra Ó hÓrgáin, Patsy Ó Tuama: Shane Ó Laoghaire, Gearóid Ó Loinsigh, Daire Ó Briain: Seán Ó Luasa, Seán Ó Muineacháin: Conor Ó Buachalla, Gavin Ó Laoghaire, Arlen Greene: Rónán Ó Loinsigh, Brian Ó Duinnín.  Fir Ionaid: Niall Ó hUallacháin 50.
 Donoughmore: Stephen Morrissey: Fionn O’Callaghan, Frank Honohan: Liam O’Sullivan, Donncadh Morrissey, Gavin O’Sullivan: Jack Honohan, Mark Lucey: Dylan Danagher, Alan Dinan, Michael Guirey: Billy Barrett, Eddy Murphy. Subs: Olan Forde ht,  Dean Browne 35, Patrick O’Sullivan 45, Darragh Buckley 50.
 Referee: Luke Knight, Kilmurry.

Report as always from Brendan Kenneally,  thank you.

share on entry